Straw Bale Gardening

The hubby picked up the straw bales I requested. They were conditioned and prepped for about 12 or so days. You do this by wetting them down or watering the actual bale daily to start lowering the internal temperature of the bale and then it starts to break the bale down inside. After the internal temperature of the bales were lowered, the baled were broken loose on the top side where plants will grow. The bales are stored on their sides to keep the bales together. I have seen some videos and such where some people turn the bales on their sides and some people keep them upright. I chose to turn them on their sides. Compost and soil was spread on top and worked into the bale itself a little ways.
 
 
After a few days of the soil sitting on the bales (and some rain), I added trellises to the bales. There are two groups of two bales together with a shared trellis in the center. Then there is one bale that will stand alone with a trellis of its own.
 
 
 
Right after I had the trellises added to the beds, the kitty thought it would be a good idea to try out one of the bales as a bed. Silly kitty!
 
 

To be on the cautionary side, because I have not tried this type of garden before...I wrapped each section of two bales with bungee cords to keep them together.

 
 
 
 
Within several days of planting some seeds for radishes and carrots, I had some sprouts emerging. I am hopeful this will do well.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Cheesy Cheese