Garden transitions...

I pulled up all the dead stuff out of the raised beds this past weekend. All the weeds were pulled and the soil was turned. I added new pine shavings to one bed and extra soil to another. There are 5 raised beds. Only two were cleared and cleaned and turned.

One bed is full of tomatoes that are late season bloomers. This bed was planted with cuttings we had cut back from other tomato plants. Earlier this summer, several tomato plants were producing lots of foliage, but not lots of fruit. I cut them back and they started to produce. So, the cuttings were rooted and then planted into their own bed.
  This is when the bed was first started back at the end of June. The tomato plants have zoomed over the sides of this bed. They are going everywhere. I have left them alone to see what they would do...no cutting back or trimming at all. The other day I noticed we have a huge tomato plant. One huge tomato. It may be one, but it makes me happy. :)  I raised the plants in this bed up off the grounds this weekend.

  One bed still has some pepper plants that are producing and a few tomato plants that are producing. I left this bed alone since it is still productive. I will clean it later and transplant some fall and winter sown plants into it.

A third bed has some ginger growing in it and some garlic. :)  The garlic is not growing, but the ginger is doing awesome.

And, we are trying straw-bale planting this fall and winter. I have 5 bales. We have been water log prepping them for about 3 weeks now, to lower the internal temperature of the bales. It took me about two days of varying moments to loosen the tops of the bales (they are on their sides to plant in) to be able to prep them for planting. The topsoil was applied to them yesterday. It was actually applied last night, because this is the only time it was cool enough in the day. The soil will settle for about a day or so. I will add some compost tea and water tomorrow to keep the bales filled with nutrients. I will direct sow some seeds this week or coming weekend. I also have to get some trellises and stake supports centered in some. I am so excited and hope these work well.

I will also direct sow and still transplant into the other two raised beds for fall planting and the fall and winter gardens. Something should bloom and grow! :)

My 14 year old has also been helping to build a pallet gate around the garden. It is coming along!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Cheesy Cheese