Coffee Compost Mushrooms and Tree Huggers!!

A few weeks ago, when I went to get my allergy shots, the nurse called me a 'hippy, Mother-Earth loving, tree hugger.'  I have been called many things in my life, but never one of those things and never all together as that day. It made me think long and hard about if this is the way people really view me? 

I do love the Earth, and we do much to recycle, compost, reuse, and be green in the household. Most of the time the effort is more about me calling out to other family members: 'That is recyclable!' or 'That can be fed to chickens/go in the compost/go in the recycle bin.' I could even see the tree hugger part perhaps. I refuse to buy anything any longer if it will become a waste product. If it is not something we will fully consume or use, eat, feed the leftovers to the dog or cats or chickens, recycle, or put into the compost...I try not to buy it at all. As such, our recycling is overflowing each week and there is almost nothing ever in the trash for the dump. I like this concept. Nothing gets wasted. Everything needs a purpose, or a repurpose, or it no longer belongs or needs to come into my house, on my property, or home with any of my family members.

And we have made many life changes: like, having the chickens, composting, making much our food from scratch (butter, mayonnaise, some cheeses, etc.), eating raw foods, joining the co-op, planting some things, etc. But, I cannot wrap my mind around the hippy part. So, I will choose to digress...

So, here is the neat next thing...at the 14 Carrot store, I found this box where you grow your own mushrooms from recycled coffee grounds. How much greener can you get?  Of course, nothing is ever as easy as it appears. And I am skeptical about this project...but venture on we must!! 


And the directions seemed so simple...


So, we followed the ever so simple instructions...




Then, we found the spare paper inside  - which had other and different directions. Did I mention that the new found directions were different??


So, we begin again and did the new directions...




And then about 20 hours later...



So, now we have to mist the box thing everyday and in 10 days, I am supposed to have edible mushrooms. I remain skeptical, but am going to wait with anticipation. I will update this in 10 days or so...stay tuned.

I have recently decided I want a shitake log...until I can figure out where to get one or how to infuse a hardwood log with spawn myself, this box mushroom kit will have to suffice. I think the next thing would obviously be to figure out how we could just use our spent grounds to infuse them with spawn ourselves or I wonder if you need something more??

And this still does not make me want that metal chicken I still do not have any less!!  And, I still have not figured out if I am a 'hippy, Mother-Earth loving, tree hugger'???  What do you think??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Cheesy Cheese