Pods, Sprouts, Fruits, Chicks, and Fencing

     The chickens have repeatedly been escaping from the chicken yard...only two of them continue to escape. Gray and Golden are good at getting out. They never roam far and stay right by the fencing, just on the outside. It is funny to watch them when we discover one has gotten out, because once out, the chicken escapee continuously tries to get back in the chicken yard. The yard needed reinforcement. There were lots of brambles all around and behind the yard, so we cleaned it all out and extended the yard some.

 This is where we extended the new yard to...this goes all the way behind the chicken coop and out about 5 or 6 feet or so...

  Here you can see the other corner of the back of the coop in the right side of the picture. The chicken yard used to end or start here and go to the tree on the left then, go to the tree in the upper portion of the picture. It has been enlarged to what I thought was originally about 1/3 the size of the original chicken yard. But, now looking at it, I think we may have actually doubled the size.
I know that people may think this is odd. When I built the original chicken yard/run two years ago, I used metal fencing twists to secure the chicken wire to the fence stakes. They rust easily and can break off. We had tons of zip ties. I used these on the second fencing, the ones the two girls keep escaping from...The zip ties worked quite well. We used them again this time. It may look rednecky, but it works very well. Kind of like duct tape...zip ties should be in every car and household.
 
  These are the baby chicks, except they are not babies anymore. These are the leghorns that were given to us by a friend/relative. I had three, but the dog captured one...so, now we have two. They are growing quickly. They differ much in temperament from the tetra tints. I do not think they know they are pets...I must convey this to them. :)

  It is hard to see these perhaps. These are some small elephant ears my neighbor gave to me. She had a large amount of them...I have some of a differing variety, that are much larger and green. These were planted/transplanted today.
 
    The younger child and I made a bean teepee a few weeks ago. I planted beans around each pole. They sprouted. My husband weedeated them....So, I planted some more...Thursday, a friend gave me about 5 or 6 bean sprouts to transplant. And today when I went to transplant them, there were some new bean sprouts...So, I planted/transplanted the new sprouts...Hopefully, these will be growing soon to trellis up the teepee.
 
  
  
 

 
  These are some other pea sprouts that needed to be placed where they could trellis. So they got transplanted, moved to a new location, and got a trellis.
 
 I have blueberries growing on one of the blueberry trees planted last year. I like this. Aren't they pretty???
 
 My husband and one of my children bought me a banana tree today for Mother's Day. I do not know the variety. They did not ask or find out. I will have to go by the nursery this week to find out what type it is. My husband said the nursery owner told him it should fruit in about a month or two. :)
 
 The only downside to today was finding some spots on my squash leaves. :(
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Cheesy Cheese