I'll eat a leaf, but not that one....

Really?? 

Tonight we had a sirloin lamb calf that had slow cooked for most of the day...it had been rubbed down with various seasonings and the like. My younger child had shucked several ears of silver queen. We used left over buttermilk from making butter about a week ago for homemade buttermilk biscuits. We had also gathered some of the mixed lettuce assortment from the containers outside and washed it for a simple salad. Dinner was very good! 


 
One type of leaf in the rub for the lamb sirloin was bay leaves. Dinner is on the table and it is noted that my husband is pushing the leaves carefully off the meat cuts. He is fishing around them in the dish and simply will not eat them... Yes, I know they can be quite woody and chewy. But, what I find so amusing is that he has had these before - ground or pureed in other food items and not known the difference.

The younger child commented he had just eaten leaves in the salad. My husband states he will eat leaves, he just does "not want that leaf." There is more queries on the subject. We laugh. My husband makes a joke about we "won't leave [him] alone." Hahaha!  He once again tells us, "I'll eat a leaf, but not that one...." My child offers him a different bay leaf out of the meat dish...he declines.

I do tell him how he has eaten in the past year or so: from the container garden plants and garden - cowpea leaves, lettuce, cabbage, spinach, broccoli leaves, parsley, basil, lemon, and sweet potato leaves. And from the outdoors - wild garlic, wild onion, and dandelion. He looks at me strangely and states, "I'll eat a leaf, but I don't want that one...."


He does comment that if we can eat them, then I should do so...so, I do!  He still refused to eat one. The child had eaten some earlier in the day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Cheesy Cheese