We set out to growing our own mushrooms. We followed ALL the instructions specifically...We did not want to mess this up. Pictures of the process we had to follow can be seen here.
Needless to say, the first attempt was a total bust. I was disappointed. The child was disappointed. I felt like I had wasted 15 bucks. What a bad chunk of luck!
The directions do say that when you have finished growing the mushrooms on one side of the box to turn the coffee grounds over and to split open the other side and you can grow from it as well. This is supposed to allow you to grow twice as much crop.
As the first side never produced anything....we turned it over and did not follow the instructions explicitly the second time. I just split open the plastic on the front, in a star pattern and sprayed it daily as directed. I did not soak it or all the other stuff...
Last night when we went to bed, we still had a box of yucky coffee ground compost. This morning...we had some mushrooms.
The oyster mushrooms are still babies at this time. The child was vaguely impressed this morning that they were present.
So, if these keep producing and are worthwhile of taste...we might try this again...
I still want to get a shiitake log. :) This picture is like a log you can buy. This picture came from the Mushroom Lady website. There are other places you can buy the log kits, but this is an example.